Monday, April 14, 2014

Welcome!



It's time for a new blog.  This one will record my progress as I practice using my new SLR camera.



Along the way I intend to become familiar with the camera app on my iPhone







And I won't forget how to use my red Point-and-Shoot


In addition to these tools, I have the following resources:
* Various camera manuals - which were clearly written by geeks because I cannot make much sense out of them.  But I'll try anyway.
* An online "Great Course": Fundamentals of Photography, taught by Joe Sartore, to guide my experiments and set assignments.
* And a book: Digital SLR Cameras and Photography for DUMMIES. by David Busch, to fill in the gaps.
* Plus - most important - your comments as I tell my story and post my pictures.

For starters, here are some recent photos:

With the Point-and-Shoot, a camellia in bloom in Sarasota in January

With the Sony, a photo of the cherry blossoms in Washington, DC, Friday, April 11.


And with the iPhone, a picture of our first house in Torrington, taken Monday, April 14  afternoon following a visit to our accountant.  It looks just the same as I remember it!

Followed by a detour to Avon to snap pictures of our house there for 30 years.


There's a chimney indicating a new fireplace in the family room - I wonder what else is new inside!


While I'm showing you where I used to live, here's the house in Wandsworth Common, London, where I lived from ages 5 to 21, taken last December.






* * * * * * *
There's clearly room for improvement in subject matter, composition and presentation!
So, if you're ready, I'll begin - and I'll try to write some interesting text to go along with the photos.

1 comment: