Wednesday, April 23, 2014

If at first I don't succeed ...

I am determined to master this f-stop, ISO thing.  So, first I practiced around my immediate neighborhood -- nothing exciting to take, but at least I became familiar with the camera settings, and Jack drew me a very poor optical diagram to explain depth of field.
F/25, ISO 50
F/5, ISO 1000










This morning I set out "on location" to the Denison Homestead immediately after breakfast, before the forecast rain shower.

I had my plan  - 3 f-stops: 4.5, 11 and 22, and 3 ISO values: 100, 400 and 800. And also a garbage bag for kneeling on the wet grass.  The daffodils were still there!

I took about 15 photos - proud that I remembered how to twiddle the dials for the different settings.  Back home I reviewed my efforts - they were not as different one to the other as I had expected.

Then Jack pointed out that the camera automatically adjusted shutter speed depending on my chosen settings, so there was a third variable in play. I should have taken one picture on "Auto" to catch the preferred combination.  And - a real "downer" - if I really wanted to show depth of field, I needed a longer lens.
Here's a sample
f/4.5, ISO 800, 1/800sec

f/22, ISO 100, 1/2 sec  --  Noise - shutter speed too long

f/11, ISO 400, 1/40 sec
Was my time and effort wasted?  Future posts will answer that question.
And I hope I find some more interesting subjects!

No comments:

Post a Comment