Saturday, April 19, 2014

First assignment ....

My first task was to focus on composition - "seeing well" - without worrying about camera settings (i.e., use "automatic") with the assignment to take a photo of my favorite room in the house and then of someone doing something in the room.  Sounds easy .... but as you will see, despite my best efforts I didn't execute it flawlessly.

First task was to de-clutter the clutter.  If this wasn't bad enough, at the end of the shoot I had to re-clutter!

Then find a good angle.  The weather was overcast outside so I thought it would be OK to have the blinds open, but this wasn't the right decision -  the view from outside fights with inside.


After about 10 shots I decided I'd taken enough.   On reflection, a shot from the south-west corner might have been best, but that was one I didn't take.

Next, find someone doing something interesting in the room. Best I could come up with was Jack reading the paper, which was interesting to him, so I decided it qualified!

This was the best of many shots. too bad I didn't remove the picture from the wall, the grasses behind him and the table coming out of his arm.  And if I'd been a bit further to the right, maybe his head would have been in front of a white wall and you would be able to see the "interesting" headline.  Like this one -- only I edited it on the computer which is not allowed ("Get it right in the camera!")

Lesson learned. On to the next one.  I hope my subjects and technique gets better quickly otherwise I will lose all my eager readers!





No comments:

Post a Comment