Friday, April 25, 2014

Time for a photo-story

So much for working on assignments - though I did practice taking closeup, normal and wide angle photos before setting out "on location" this afternoon.  My personal coach came with me, suggesting angles and checking that I was using the correct focal length.



Our destination was Mystic Seaport - and more specifically the Charles W. Morgan that is nearing the end of a multi-year restoration project in preparation for her 38th voyage to historic ports in New England, including New London, Newport, Vineyard Haven, New Bedford, Provincetown and Boston.

We'd last seen her in November - then she was just a hull.  Over the winter the masts, spars and rigging have been installed,

























while painting on the hull continues.

And ballast in the form of 80 pound iron bricks is piled up on deck waiting to go below













Belowdecks the bunk rooms are getting a new coat of paint  - that's a porthole and the bunk is the white wooden strip (Not good composition!)

but wait -- this is cheating!



A ship worker told me it was a regulation to have a flushing toilet for more than 60 passengers.






There will be life jackets too -- made in China and waiting onshore in wooden boxes.!











I assume the whaling boats will have a dual purpose as lifeboats

There's still lots to be done before she is towed away form the Seaport down the Mystic River (too shallow for a square rigger to sail) to New London where the crew will practice handling the sails and the ballast will be adjusted.

I'll have to watch the webcam when she leaves port on May 17th -- I'll be in Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment