Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Learning by (not) doing

My next assignment is to take photos with different focal length and image sensitivity (ISO).  I understand the concept and the expect outcome of the amount of depth of field that is in focus.  So what could be a problem?

I had my sights set on photographing the daffodils in the grounds of the Denison Homestead opposite the Pequosepos Nature Center - they're "Hampton Court beautiful" - shorthand for the massive display of daffs in the lawn in front of Henry VIII's palace along the Thames west of London.  Yesterday early morning was overcast, so I rushed out to catch the "soft light".

Once on location I positioned myself, camera strap around neck, lens cap off, aperture priory setting, and started to take pictures
f/4; ISO100
But wait!  Which of the knobs and dials changes the focal length?  The one I thought it was did not make any changes in the photos as taken. Oh dear, failure to read the manual - AGAIN!  I twisted every dial that moved, and a few general shots I returned home.

f/22; ISO 1600
But the manual did not tell me how to adjust the f-stop - just which part of the lens was responsible and where the value was displayed on the back screen.  Searches on Google were no help either - lots about its function, but nothing about the location of the control on my particular model. Finally Jack helped me figure it out.  Though I still don't know how to manipulate the ISO value.  That's today's task.

So, my next task in taking some neighborhood photos is to become familiar with manipulating the settings.  I hope I can accomplish this before the daffodils die.

An important lesson learned.  Know before I go.  Or just take my iPhone!

No comments:

Post a Comment